Editorial

"Zen teaches nothing; it merely enables us to wake up and become aware. It does not teach, it points." ~D.T. Suzuki

Sunday, July 22, 2012

One Starfish... At A Time

The Spirit Of
The Great Heart

You Can Make A Difference
One Starfish At A Time
From the story The Star Thrower
by Loren Eiseley


 "On a point of land, I found the star thrower...
I spoke once briefly. "I understand," I said.

 "Call me another thrower." Only then I allowed myself to think, He is not alone any longer. After us, there will be others... We were part of the rainbow... Perhaps far outward on the rim of space a genuine star was similarly seized and flung... For a moment, we cast on an infinite beach together beside an unknown hurler of suns... We had lost our way, I thought, but we had kept, some of us, the memory of the perfect circle of compassion from life to death and back to life again - the completion of the rainbow of existence." 
In our sheer preoccupation with technology,
we do not realize the inherent artistic choices
when creating technology...
and the questioning and reflection
that the process of creating art implies.
-Tapan
Your life can be a work of art
You just have to notice and care...


Arete (Ancient Greek: ἀρετή),
in its basic sense,
means excellence of any kind.
 In its earliest appearance in Greek,
this notion of excellence
was ultimately bound up with the notion
of the fulfillment of purpose or function:
the act of living up to one's full potential.

Sometimes translated as "virtue,"
 the word actually means something closer to
"being the best you can be,"
or "reaching your highest human potential."
Arete in ancient Greek culture
was courage and strength
in the face of adversity
and it was to what all people aspired.

Aristotle called contemplation of this a means to
the highest human ability and happiness."
(Wikipedia)


You Can Care More, But Can You Care Less?

The Heart is a Muscle
 It Strengthens with Use

(I could care less vs I couldn't care less)
You can make a world of difference
as soon as you start to give a damn


You don't have to have a college degree to serve.
You don't have to make your subject & verb agree to serve. You only need a heart full of grace. 
A soul generated by love.
Martin Luther King, Jr. 


Excerpt from The Star Thrower

"On a point of land, I found the star thrower...
I spoke once briefly. "I understand," I said.
 "Call me another thrower."
Only then I allowed myself to think,
He is not alone any longer.
After us, there will be others...
We were part of the rainbow...
Perhaps far outward on the rim of space
a genuine star was similarly seized and flung...
For a moment, we cast on an infinite beach together beside an unknown hurler of suns...
We had lost our way, I thought,
but we had kept, some of us,
the memory of the perfect circle of compassion from life to death and back to life again -
the completion of the rainbow of existence."

Loren Eiseley

Enjoy.
© 2012 MU-Peter Shimon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think. Questions and comments are welcome.